In living

In annoying linking to other places, I published one of my favorite first posts on Mamalode.

At their root, my fears are selfish, selfish things. It’s not that they can be taken out of this world that strikes the worst fear in me. We all live with that truth. It’s that I could be left behind. My deepest fear is trying to survive in a world that had them in it and lost them.   … The Space Between on Mamalode.

In reading, I’m in the middle of Breaking Night by Liz Murray.   It’s dark and a little chaotic, but it’s the most raw and real depiction of drug addiction and how it creates homelessness that I’ve ever read.

breaking night

In watching, I will adore Grey’s Anatomy to the bitter end.  Downton Abbey continues to thrill me.  If I admit that I also love The Bachelor and Dance Moms can we still be friends?

DSC_0063In kids, Saige would like to know if there are girl ninjas.  I say yes, of course there are girl ninjas, otherwise there would be no baby  ninjas and shortly thereafter NO NINJAS AT ALL.  Besides, girls are badass at ninja stuff. Quinn wants to know many things including where our friend‘s sweet dog’s bones went.  He teacher thinks they went to heaven, but he thinks it might be outer space.  I told him he might be right because all lost carbon drifts into the stars eventually.  Nater Skater declared – in a complete reversal of his previous position – that he would jump off the diving board at swimming and would henceforth like to be known as Nater SWIMMER.  Garrett is hard to read (I’m not sure that bodes well for the future) but when he does talk, it is always in a fake British accent he learned from Harry Potter. Maddening.

In cooking, I made peppercorn steaks and baked apple tarts last week.  Ahahahahahahah.  hah.  Where the hell do you think you are?  A real blog?  My culinary week peaked with peanut butter tofu on Thursday, which caused NO LESS THAN THREE of  my children to choose bed at 6:00 p.m. rather than endure the dinner table without complaining.  It’s my new record.  Saige finished.  Saige will choke down anything for an Oreo cookie.  She’s a girl after my own heart.  Dinner is overrated.  If it were up to me we’d eat cereal and pizza.  Pass the Oreos.

In crafting, bwahahahahahaha.  Seriously though, does anyone ever go through phases where you feel intense guilt about this mythical parent you used to be.  I swear I used to do more projects and shit with the kids.  Life had been crazy and we rarely have a lazy afternoon to cut, or play letter games, or even take a walk.  And now I am pining for the good old days in the lives of my children who are all under seven years old.  ARG.  Get off my lawn.  I’ve thought about letting them try writing secret messages with lemon juice.  Does that count?

In Matt news, he spent all day today building a self-composting pit toilet in the garage.  Because I said I’m not going to The Land until there is a toilet.  Next time, I will be more specific.

31 Responses to In living
  1. Alison
    February 11, 2013 | 5:38 am

I’ve never done a craft in my life with the kids. I’m afraid I might hurt someone (myself).

February 11, 2013 | 6:28 am

And I love you even more ;-)

February 11, 2013 | 12:55 pm

I was too young to be a good mother. But I was a mighty fine playmate. And Kraft Macaroni & Cheese was my go to dinner .. I win the crappy mommy contest… but I think I was fun.

3. Peggy
    February 11, 2013 | 12:57 pm

Yes, there are girl ninjas, and my 7 year old is reading the book to prove it! The Magic Tree House series has a Night of the Ninjas book. We just read through a part where the kids were surprised that the one ninja was a chick-ninja. (I would tell you what happened next, but it was my husband’s turn to read with her!)

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:28 am

My kids love Magic Tree House! I don’t know if we’ve read that one.

February 11, 2013 | 1:00 pm

“There would be no baby ninjas” is one of the best responses ever to anything.

Cereal for dinner sounds like my fantasy come true. (I have dull fantasies.)

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:28 am

It’s a sad world with no baby ninjas.

5. YellowLadybird
    February 11, 2013 | 1:29 pm

If it weren’t for the kids, it’d be cake for breakfast, pb&j for lunch, and cereal for dinner every. single. day. As for lazy afternoons? In theory we still have those, but for some reason they don’t feel relaxing. I can barely sneak in that piece of cake I gave up for breakfast without a little voice asking, “Is that chocolate? Can I have some?” I swear they have a sensor. I love your Mamalode essay and thanks for the book rec!

6. Amanda
    February 11, 2013 | 1:30 pm

Have her watch the second Three Ninja’s movie, there’s a sweet but tough girl ninja in that too!

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:29 am

Oh, this will make their day. I’ll find it.

7. Anne
    February 11, 2013 | 2:36 pm

Peanut butter tofu? That’s just wrong.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve watched Dance Moms. What can I say? I like feeling outraged, I guess.

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:30 am

It was good! And so healthy. We’ll have to agree on Dance Moms — outrageous and fun.

8. Arnebya
    February 11, 2013 | 4:04 pm

My IDEA of crafting is glorious. It remains a sweet idea. That’s what my MIL is for; she enjoys it, she’s good at it, and doggone it, people like her.

Giggling because I did raise my eyebrows at the peppercorn steak like ooooooh fancy.

The girl ninja questions reminds me of my 3 yr old who is securely in the belief that boys and girls absolutely cannot enjoy the same things. Absolutely.

9. melanie
    February 11, 2013 | 5:48 pm

I love this window to your world. I agree, dinner sucks.

10. Karina
    February 11, 2013 | 7:38 pm

If it’s any consolation, my (British) son keeps singing in a fake American accent, and it irritates the crap out of me. Wanna swap?

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:30 am

Yes! If only for a day.

February 11, 2013 | 9:03 pm

If there are girl spy’s (spies? Plural spy), there are girl ninjas. No doubt in my mind.

The British accent cracks me up and I will admit to making my own mother crazy with it for most of high school.

Grey’s will be my favorite forever no matter what. I don’t care if you and I are the last ones watching it. Dance Moms is INSANE this season and I luff it.

Dinner is highly overrated.

12. Lyndsay
    February 11, 2013 | 10:11 pm

We can be friends BECAUSE you love the Bachelor. But I’m not coming to visit The Land until you clarify the plumbing situation.

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:31 am

You and I both. Land boycott.

February 12, 2013 | 12:58 am

WTH is wrong with regular peanut butter? ;) OMG…. I wouldn’t eat peanut butter tofu for dinner either. Never understood forcing kids to “try new foods” or eat stuff they don’t like. Who says you are a better person if you eat a wider variety of food? My husband grew up in Nome and had to clean his plate. He eats raw whale and all kinds of other funky/smelly Eskimo foods. I have a limited selection of things that I will eat. I really don’t think he’s happier. Maybe I’m wrong? I should ask him.

I love you. You crack me up.

Oh and ….. did I miss the page in the parenting handbook that said “thou shalt not feed children cereal for dinner”? Two of our eight live almost solely on cereal. They’re fine. (I think).

What about the horse, er, dog living in your house?

• anymommy
      February 12, 2013 | 6:32 am

We are eating cereal for dinner tomorrow night in your honor because you’re right … who the hell said no cereal for dinner? ;-)

The DOG. He needs his own post.

14. lt
    February 12, 2013 | 2:54 pm

In our house, if you don’t like what is for dinner you can have cereal (or pb sandwich) and a piece of fruit/vegetable (by the way-polly o cheese sticks are not a vegetable). Some nights I don’t know why I even bothered to cook considering the amount of cereal being poured–so I don’t. Long live Cheerios!

15. Jen @ And Two More Makes FIVE
    February 12, 2013 | 8:24 pm

This is awesome. And the answer is that – YES – you did tons more creative shit before you had four kids and started toting said kids to activities in which the older ones participate. I can’t believe my husband and I used to actually LOOK FOR THINGS TO DO TO OCCUPY THE CHILDREN. Like we used to go to the ice cream place every Thursday night in the summer because they had a free bouncy things that would wear the kids out so they’d sleep at night. And we only went to church Wednesday night BECAUSE THEY HAD NURSERY. It was an hour of kid-free time when they were also entertained. And they would take slides into their classrooms. Awesome. Now we barely go to church on Sunday once a month.

And PROPS to you for sending three kids to bed before 6 pm over dinner. That seriously made my day. My stepson has been known to throw up while trying to choke down salad. And – after he threw up – we’d still send him to bed. Sans dinner. Ha. Now he’s ten. And he eats salad.

16. Jen @ And Two More Makes FIVE
    February 12, 2013 | 8:27 pm

OH! And we had cereal for dinner Sunday night JUST BECAUSE OF YOU. Driving home from my in-laws. 7 pm. Exhausted. Needing to feed children. And CEREAL popped into my head. THANK YOU for the fabulous idea.

17. Roger Travis
    February 13, 2013 | 12:04 am

This really is such a great reference you are supplying so you give it apart for free. I enjoy viewing internet sites that view the price of offering a leading source at no cost. I must say i adored studying your posting. Cheers!

18. Kate
    February 13, 2013 | 12:48 am

Look for the book The Beautiful Warrior at the library. Great girl ninja (Kung Fu counts, right?).

19. Mel
    February 13, 2013 | 2:14 am

That toilet situation sounds pretty dicey. As for Downton Abbey, I find myself rejecting it for no good reason other than that it is popular. I’ll never understand myself.

February 14, 2013 | 5:56 pm

I really, really liked your updates.

I had an unusual A+ mommy moment when I made my kids valentines and bags of candy for after school.

21. Kendra
    February 14, 2013 | 7:07 pm

I love cereal for breakfast. I miss those days.

22. Magpie
    February 15, 2013 | 4:05 am

The Matt business made me laugh out loud. I occasionally say I want a composting toilet, but it’s really only because of the brand name: clivus multrum. I mean, is that not awesome?

23. Thanks for finally talking about >In living | Is There
    Anymommy Out There? <Loved it!