Two hearts, two stones

How is it Friday again?  I can’t keep up.  It’s outrageous, the speed at which time dares to move.

Mamalode.  I wrote and this piece is so very close to my heart …  if you have a minute, visit and let them know if you like it:

Matt walked in the door late that night, after dinner and bedtime.  The kids were already quiet upstairs with their books and their music.  I washed dishes, watching my reflection in the huge picture window above the sink.  My other self floated in the blackness, pale and years younger with sad dark eyes.  I wondered how I would do it tomorrow.

He wrapped me in his arms, still in his big brown work coat, and I dissolved into sobs I didn’t know I was holding back. … two hearts, two stones at Mamalode.

And, in other news, I haven’t cut my hair in seven years and yesterday, I just … went for it.  Had it hacked off.  Look at me!  I can change!  I can adjust!  I am not afraid to let the next part of my life happen.  Fine, I’m a little afraid.  Tell me that you like it.

Here’s a recent photo of my hair as it has looked for seven or eight years (when it looks okay; and isn’t in a bun; and doesn’t have gross kid scrum in it somewhere).

The pictures that I showed my stellar hair dresser, Sarah, yesterday.  (GULP! Am I crazy?)

Keep in mind that these women are, how do you say it?  Unfairly stunning.

Sarah was so encouraging and with a little bit of hand-holding on Facebook … (drum roll) …

It’s a little new and a little strange, but I love it.  Until I have to do it on Tuesday and then I  may cry, but we’ll see. I am improving with the hot iron.  Here’s a tip for moms of girls:  For the LOVE OF GOD, women, teach them to use a hot iron before they are 39. As I walked out of the salon, Sarah said: “You look so professional.  You know what you look like? A writer.”  Well, okay then.  Maybe I am.

xo, stacey.

44 Responses to Two hearts, two stones
  1. Stephanie Precourt
    November 4, 2012 | 12:04 am

Stacey!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. This actually gave me chills. How is it that a hair cut on someone I only know from the Internet can do this to me? Well it does. Oh I love it.

2. andy
    November 4, 2012 | 12:07 am

WOW! I LOVE it!!!!!

3. andy
    November 4, 2012 | 12:07 am

WOW! I LOVE it!!!!! What did the kids think of the change?

4. Anne
    November 4, 2012 | 12:08 am

Wow, I love your hair!! And I love your piece on Mamalode…

5. Redneck Mommy
    November 4, 2012 | 12:10 am

ERMAGERD, I love it so much. You look ridiculously awesome. Love love love. (Also, you looked ridiculously awesome before as well.)

6. annabelle
    November 4, 2012 | 12:15 am

Smiling pic is just the best.
    I cried at the smiling picture – I’m so proud of you. Living. It’s important.
    And as a mommy, to do something for yourself.
    Sigh. You *are* a writer, all grown up and a writer.

7. Mama D
    November 4, 2012 | 12:20 am

You look beautiful. Proud of you for taking the risk! And aren’t the decisions that we make regarding the face and image that we show the world some of the most personal and profound??

8. MamaBear
    November 4, 2012 | 12:25 am

As someone who also had the same hair ‘style’ for years and years and then one day said, That’s It! Cut it off! I can relate. I adore your new cut….reminds me a lot of mine. I was 36 before I picked up a flat iron. What a difference it makes with my baby fine wavy hair!!!

Keep smiling! It suits you!

9. Ann
    November 4, 2012 | 1:10 am

Stunning! I love the angle. Off to mamalode.

10. Mom24@4evermom
    November 4, 2012 | 1:18 am

VERY nice! Love it and love the writing even more. :)

11. Della Williams
    November 4, 2012 | 1:43 am

Love it!

12. Tracy
    November 4, 2012 | 1:44 am

Your hair looks fantastic! And I loved your post on mamalode. It was beautiful. I hadn’t heard about two stones before, and was very moved by what you wrote.

November 4, 2012 | 1:53 am

*Love* your haircut!

November 4, 2012 | 2:35 am

SOOOOOOOO CUTE! You look wonderful! Very flattering cut.

15. OHmommy
    November 4, 2012 | 2:47 am

STUNNING!!!!!!!!! Simply stunning!

16. cyndy
    November 4, 2012 | 3:12 am

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE IT!!
    Love it. You look younger and polished and beautiful!

17. cyndy
    November 4, 2012 | 3:14 am

OH MY GOODNESS! I love it!!
    You look younger and polished and beautiful!

18. LauraW
    November 4, 2012 | 3:39 am

OMgosh – I have the same picture (Jenny M’s) and have been working my way to that hair cut. lol Not brave like you!

The funny part is how much less shampoo you’ll need – but still pour into your hand!

You look fabulous!

19. Lesley @Avalea
    November 4, 2012 | 3:50 am

I! Love! It! So very cute! Great choice! *applause*

20. Kelsy Bolender
    November 4, 2012 | 7:07 am

As always, you look amazing!! The hair is perfect! You go girl, get out on that limb and dangle a little!!

21. Kelsy Bolender
    November 4, 2012 | 7:08 am

22. Nadine
    November 4, 2012 | 10:51 am

LOVE your hair! Love it.

23. Kathryn
    November 4, 2012 | 12:20 pm

It looks fantastic…and will be so much easier to care for short!

24. K-Line
    November 4, 2012 | 1:43 pm

Your hair is GORGEOUS! Great update.

25. kwqr
    November 4, 2012 | 4:53 pm

Beautiful post on Mamalode… you get me every single time… gorgeous writing!
    nd there must be something in the air because just yesterday I had my hair cut for the first time in almost a year… it was about the same length as yours. Unfortunately for me my results were not as successful. (Fantastic look on you, by the way!) My middle son informed me that “I looked like the lady on Wallace & Gromit” (oh yes, go ahead, search google images for wallace and gromit gwendoline – nice, right?!) And that he was “not quite sure that he felt comfortable” with my new hair. I would have cried if I hadn’t been laughing so hard. Because he is a little bit right…. my quest for chin-length-modern-sophistcated layers looks more like a chopped claymation bob.
    TGHG* (*thank god hair grows)
    Happy weekend!
    Kate

November 4, 2012 | 7:09 pm

As someone who cannot leave her hair alone, who always wants someone else’s style, I have finally in the past few years of living in Argentina, learned that I look good and feel best with long hair. I can do more with it and easily and it softens an old woman’s face and neck ( some days I am a very old woman, others just kinda old).. I really like the haircut. I think it will be so great when you realise how little time the wash and the dry/blow take. That is the only thing that tempts me to cut … not having to blow out my hair in the summer. And it is not that short in some ways, you can still feel like your hair is long.
    You look gorgeous :) C

27. Lisa/MommyMo
    November 5, 2012 | 1:53 am

We have almost the same haircut! Beautiful!!!

November 5, 2012 | 4:44 am

I thought that too! In fact, I think I look a little like you in that last picture, which is awesome!

28. Jamie
    November 5, 2012 | 6:49 am

Your hair looks AMAZING!! Good for you for going for it :) Wasn’t that first wash the weirdest experience you’ve ever had??

• anymommy
      November 8, 2012 | 4:13 am

Bizarre. I’ve had to shampoo three times for seven years I have so much hair. It was so liberating!!

29. Steph
    November 5, 2012 | 3:54 pm

You look pretty and professional!

November 5, 2012 | 7:35 pm

Oh I love it! You are stunning. xoxo

31. Ellen
    November 5, 2012 | 11:08 pm

Wow! Absolutely love it. Very classy. You have got to tell us how your husband and little ones like it. One of my sons used to cry every time I had a hair cut. Not kidding. He is 16 now and still hates change!

32. Marta
    November 6, 2012 | 2:49 am

LOVE IT. I think it looks absolutely stunning.

(I have no idea how to use a flat iron properly either)

33. Marta
    November 6, 2012 | 2:50 am

LOVE IT. I think it looks absolutely stunning.

(I have no idea how to use a flat iron properly either)

34. Marta
    November 6, 2012 | 2:50 am

LOVE IT. I think it looks absolutely stunning.

(I have no idea how to use a flat iron properly either)

November 6, 2012 | 4:01 am

Your Mamalode piece is so beautiful, Stacey. As always, I am amazed at your writing. Know that I am hoping with every fiber of my heart that you may find yourself writing of joys more than sorrows very, very soon.

And I love your hair. I love the swing and the fun and the light in your eyes in the last pic. You look beautiful, my friend.

November 6, 2012 | 4:03 am

And I love your hair. I love the swing and the fun and the light in your eyes in the last pic. You look beautiful, my friend…

37. Eileen
    November 6, 2012 | 4:20 am

I love love love that Mamalode post! And your hair looks great :-D

I nominated you for a blog award, feel free to come by and get it: http://givingherallshesgot.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/an-award-for-lil-old-me/

38. Ashley
    November 6, 2012 | 5:03 am

You look gorgeous! I’ve been trying to hack mine off the last 4 haircuts and never manage to go through with it! You’ve inspired me–next time, for sure. Can’t wait to see it in person. The Mamalode post was gorgeous–such talent you have…

November 6, 2012 | 7:49 pm

Phe-no-me-nal! (Did I spell that right?)

You look totally fab. I love it.

40. Libby Nelson
    November 8, 2012 | 2:24 am

Your new haircut is gorgeous, sophisticated, beautiful. LOVE.

41. melanie
    November 12, 2012 | 9:31 pm

you are one of the lucky ones who looked fantastic with long hair and just as lovely with short!

November 15, 2012 | 12:53 pm

It’s STUNNING! You’re STUNNING!

{I’ll stop yelling at you now, but I really do love it!}