We all fall down

Ohmygosh!  I keep forgetting to link to my Mamalode posts, which is terrible because it’s an awesome site and I’ve been writing a lot of new stuff there – on Fridays in case I haven’t mentioned that one or two times already.  Thanks so much for following me over there and reading, I love you for it.  I love you even if you don’t, for that matter,  for all of the connection and discussion and support I’ve found writing my thoughts out here.

Simmer down.  Settle in, my inner voice soothes.  Think family movie nights.  Think cozy fires.  Think holidays.  Longing for brown lizards on logs, lazy afternoons hunting beach glass, and bonfires to the beat of the waves on the reef will only make you bitter, but I fight a different winter picture of snotty children cooped up too many long, dark days and a chill so deep that my shoulders hurt from hunching. Mornings that bite your fingers bloody with ragged teeth and claw the inside of your nose raw.
No doubt nature knows best with her long sleep and spring renewal, but hibernation with children is overrated. …  from The Darkest Night at Mamalode.

Ohmygosh!  Something else!  I’m in a book.  I know.  Squeeeaaaallll.  So many good things have happened in my life because of blogging – and honestly this is the least of them, dealing gracefully with devastating sadness is another – but this one is really special because it’s a book with pages and everything. Digital pages, technically, but still.

BlogHer '12 VOTY eBook

My essay “Thoughts” is included in the BlogHer ’12 Voices of the Year eBook. It’s available for Kindles and iWhatevers  and here are the links to download it:

Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-BlogHer-Voices-Year-ebook/dp/B009KY5OJ4/

iTunes Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-blogher-voices-of-the-year/id567635178?mt=11

Which, you know, probably no one will except my father, who better because I’m in there.

We went to a hockey game last night.  It started – STARTED!  Did you hear?! – at seven and I actually let the kids stay up and go.  Who the hell am I and why am I in a freezing cold ice arena at 8:30 with my damn children?  It was fun, mostly.  The boys loved the game and Nate loved deafening music. Saige loved the $1.00 nachos and cocoa.  We all have our weaknesses.

Yay! Indoor athletic events for which we have to bundle up like Eskimos and huddle around hot, sticky drinks while loud music blares and teenagers beat the shit out of each other.  My favorite!  (Not my favorite, but when I married an outdoorsy, mountain-type who apparently loves the cold and bore him three mountain-type sons who love things like hockey, I sealed my own fate.  I don’t know what to tell you about the poor little tropical island girl. I feel her pain.  She really likes cocoa.)

Half way into the second period, a teenager in a white jersey body checked a teenager in a blue jersey right into the plexiglass where Garrett’s head pressed against it.  The resulting goose egg was impressive.  He thought that was freaking awesome.  Then, a fight started on the ice and the Rockies’ player was beating the living snot out of the hometown Braves’ kid and I couldn’t believe it because no one was doing a damn thing.  The referees stood there and watched.  So, I sensibly screamed at Matt while beating on his shoulder (like I do whenever I don’t understand a sporting event, which is often because I don’t really give a shit), “what the HELL, why don’t they stop this?  what is going on?  why are they just watching. this is awful. OMIGOD! THOSE ARE SOMEONE’S BABIES!!!”

Matt took the time to glance around at the other fans apologetically before explaining to me that this was “pro-rules” hockey and in “pro-rules” hockey they don’t stop fights until someone falls down.

“?Like dead?”  All things seemed possible at that point.

“No.”  (Said in a tone that suggests that I have asked the dumbest question in the history of dumb sports questions.)

“Well?  Oh God.  Fall down!  Fall down little white jersey boy! Why doesn’t he fall down?”

I am officially not a fan of the boys playing hockey under “pro-rules” or “non-pro-rules” or any rules except mine, which do not allow for any one to hit my baby boys until they fall down. But I’m pretty sure I lost this battle before it began.

Why couldn’t they stay in this kind of padding forever?

22 Responses to We all fall down
    October 29, 2012 | 5:31 am

“Fall down little white jersey boy! Why doesn’t he fall down?” I am dying laughing. You and and your daughter will have to have a girl’s trip to the equator whilst the men go a-huntin’. Please do link your other posts! I live to read them all! And congratulations on bring published!

2. anna see
    October 29, 2012 | 3:34 pm

i am too faint of heart to watch hockey, i think. i do appreciate a warm cup of cocoa, though. our mcdonalds had peppermint cocoa yesterday, which sounds gross, but was the perfect thing to drink while freezing at margaret’s freezing, pre-hurricane soccer game.

3. Deb
    October 29, 2012 | 4:00 pm

When we were talking about whether or not to start our son in ice skating lessons, I was all, “ice skating leads to hockey! Hockey leads to hitting! Hitting leads to no teeth! I CANNOT HAVE A TOOTHLESS BAYBEE!”

4. Korinthia
    October 29, 2012 | 4:04 pm

I get nervous enough watching my kids swing on the monkey bars. I don’t think I could survive them in a hockey rink.

5. Tami Cline
    October 29, 2012 | 4:14 pm

I’m from a family with daughters and I have daughters Si the only hockey we go see is when my sister’s son comes into town and he’s playing. I also have the honour (and as a Canadian I am obliged to be excited( and I really really am))to have my cousin’s son in the NHL minors I think it’s called. He played for Canada in the world thingy last year (my excitement and pride does not go into learning the proper terms and name thingies)
    Hot cocoa and inexpensive nachos are a pretty fair enticement to sitting inside with mittens, hat and gloves watching other peoples babies beat on each other until one falls down.

6. Lyndsay
    October 29, 2012 | 5:28 pm

So thankful for my daughter and her hatred of all things skating. Except watching it on TV. That’s okay.

October 29, 2012 | 6:15 pm

Yay for published in a book for you!

And hockey is DUMB. I hate that sport. Ok, well, I have BEEN to games, and they are fun(ish) but the whole punching and hitting shit is just too much for me, too.

October 29, 2012 | 7:00 pm

It’s crazy to watch them fight at a pro game. They go at each other like crazy! I guess maybe they do in our local games too, eh?

And congrats on the book, MUCH deserved, my friend! xo

9. Varda (SquashedMom)
    October 29, 2012 | 8:19 pm

So glad I’m married to a nice New York City Jewish boy who thinks taking a stroll through the park is a proper sporting event. sounds lie your crew had fun. And congrats on being in the BlogHer e-book – I’m in there, too! (Ooops, guess I better go promote it on my own blog, too, huh?)

October 29, 2012 | 9:33 pm

I’m laughing… you all are bundled up like it’s an outside game…kids here play games on the outdoor rinks until -20* below (and, yes, the parents stand out there and watch… I used to keep score). We spent 10 years sitting in rinks watching our children. Even moved up to competitive where skates are $450 a pair and we spend thousands upon thousands to watch our kids get hit. LOL There’s a part of me that misses our “hockey family”, but I sure don’t miss the expense and time. (I prefer basketball anyhow). :)

October 29, 2012 | 10:41 pm

Oh the memories this brings back.
    My boy came home on day from school, silly me, I thought he was studying with classmates. His face was bloody, his clothes, a tooth was loose. He played hockey for the first time.
    After that came years of real hockey games and going to stadiums and watching hockey games and home play-off games huddled in front of the tv ..
    He is a man now, his teeth are perfect, his nose is unbroken and we all still like a good hockey game. ( fights can be fun when professionals do it )
    Fall Down Little White Jersey Boy is just perfect.

October 29, 2012 | 10:41 pm

Oh the memories this brings back.
    Fall Down Little White Jersey Boy is just perfect.

October 29, 2012 | 10:41 pm

Oh the memories this brings back.
    Fall Down Little White Jersey Boy is just perfect.

October 29, 2012 | 10:42 pm

Oh the memories this brings back.
    Fall Down Little White Jersey Boy is just perfect.

15. Upstatemamma
    October 29, 2012 | 11:43 pm

Okay, I am seriously cracking up now. We are a hockey family through and through. I could not be more upset about the NHL lockout. AND my eight year old plays hockey – has since he was three. Admittedly, I’m very glad we are not at the “pro-rules” stage yet. Seriously, being a hockey mom is AWESOME!!!!!!! :0

16. Lisa
    October 30, 2012 | 4:49 am

I feel the exact same way about hockey! I can get free tickets through my work sometimes and my husband likes it so we go, and he is always completely embarrassed when I get all upset and start talking about head injuries when they start fighting. But seriously! WHY ARE THEY BEING SO MEAN?!

I will possibly have a heart attack on the spot if my babies ask if they can play hockey. Or football.

Oh! And I love the leaf picture of your kids, very cute.
    -Lisa

October 30, 2012 | 11:21 am

I’m with Saige on the cocoa and nachos thing. And if Matt did not accept your questions with equanimity, at least he did not do so with withering scorn. So looks like the marriage is on track. ;-)

18. Stephanie Precourt
    October 30, 2012 | 12:12 pm

I don’t know what scares me more- hockey or football. Out here people breathe football but my boys… I just can’t imagine it. What’s wrong with ping pong, you know?

October 30, 2012 | 2:31 pm

OMG I love hockey. Except for the being cold part. Back in the ‘old days’ = early 70s, when my brother used to play there were not indoor rinks for little kids so we used to have to stand OUTDOORS in -20F temps in Minnesota watching the games. I still remember my mother telling me to just go ‘run around more to keep warm.’

October 30, 2012 | 6:09 pm

I feel so bad for Saige. Ha. I spent my life in ice rinks. Competitive ice hockey. The bane of my existence as a child. Funny how I love the smell of the rink now and like watching hockey at times. ;)

Just remember how padded they are. When they fall at that age, it’s no biggie.

21. Roshni
    October 30, 2012 | 10:31 pm

Congratulations on being featured in the book!! How exciting!! You totally deserve it!!

22. Roshni
    October 30, 2012 | 10:32 pm

Congratulations on being featured!! You totally deserve to be!!