Diamonds in our eyes

The day after the fairy party (post to come), Matt helped me jam the van full of life jackets and groceries and children for a week at Diamond Lake.  It was a quick turn around, which didn’t bring out the hyper, control freak, anal retentive, bossy side of me at all.

Aha. So, I think Matt was fairly glad to see the back side of me, at least, if not his children, for a few days.  I am, for my part, very glad to spend this last precious week of “summer” (High of 75 yesterday and raining on the icy banks of Diamond Lake and also the icy banks of the Priest River and Lake Pend Oreille after we threw up our hands in despair of having ELEVEN children under six inside of the cabin with us and drove to Sandpoint, Idaho. Which is stunning. And has a Starbucks. Although, that little fact had absolutely nothing to do with the outing. If you believe that, I have a lake cabin I don’t own to sell you in Idaho.) trying to maintain a conversation with girlfriends over the dulcet strains of our children screaming about who splashed freezing cold water on whom.

It’s lovely.  All of my snarky nonsense aside.  The long loft room where we actually managed to get most of the children to sleep last night.  The long conversations over wine with the darkened, silent lake behind us.  The unexpected visit from Matt this morning as the frosty fog burned off the lake to reveal a sparkling diamond of a day, carrying puzzles and card games over his shoulder like a rainy day Santa Claus. The ugly, orange fleece Matt wore on the drive north thank god because I’ve been freezing to death for four days.

The pines that rim every sweeping view in our lives like a fringed hug from the gods of the great white north.

The children I love and the children I hope will be their friends for a lifetime.

The hot tub that holds more kids than it is really a hot tub’s duty to hold.

The dock parades.

The spaghetti covered faces.

The fishing expeditions.

The giggles. The inside jokes shared over little heads. The movies in the afternoon to save three mothers’ sanity.  Even the time outs. The exhaustion. The whining and the negotiating.

In the immortal words of Billy Joel: “These are the times to remember, cause they will not last forever. These are the days to hold onto, but we won’t although we’ll want to. These are the times. The times are gonna change.”

School starts on Tuesday. All three of these families will send their oldest babies off to real, honest to goodness public Kindergarten.  But there’s a long diamond lake and emerald pine weekend between us and the milestone heavy fall and we plan to hold on to it as tightly as we can.  (With one hand. Because in the other hand we are clutching our glasses of wine.  NINE kids. Loft sleeping area. Don’t judge us.)

37 Responses to Diamonds in our eyes
    September 1, 2011 | 9:27 pm

I love, love, love all of this. Am a wee bit jealous. Well except for the loft nine kids sleeping thing.

I hope you have an amazing last weekend of summer friend.

2. Leah
    September 1, 2011 | 9:37 pm

I am about 15 minutes from you, wasnt’ that weather crazy, it was 39 degree’s this morning, insane. Well I suppose we got about 2-3 weeks of summer, better then the other southern states that got way to much summer for me and are still getting it. Its suppose to get nicer in the next few days so hope you guys can enjoy yourselves a bit more.

September 2, 2011 | 8:37 pm

It’s gorgeous today … but the three weeks of summer might kill me. I feel winter’s approach in those cold-edged mornings.

September 1, 2011 | 10:19 pm

Somehow I’ve got to make my way back to the Border of Idaho. We’d have so much fun ’cause nine kids in a loft is right up my alley. Also, ’cause I drink wine. :)

September 2, 2011 | 8:40 pm

I would absolutely love that!

4. Ms Sharealot
    September 1, 2011 | 10:50 pm

What a great idea to get one last trip in before school starts. Mine have almost two weeks of school under their belts, and I’ve almost stopped crying from missing them.

5. Annie
    September 1, 2011 | 10:55 pm

i love this.
    especially the part about gripping your glass in the other hand…
    these ARE the days.
    Thanks for the smile.

6. Candice
    September 1, 2011 | 10:56 pm

Did Nate let any Nature touch him ? He looks awfully happy :)
    It all sounds like a movie, that many children in that room, the lake, the fun .. keep the film, you will want to watch it over and over some day <3

September 2, 2011 | 8:40 pm

He played in the lake this morning. Actually got wet. Astonishing. xo.

7. Mom24@4evermom
    September 1, 2011 | 11:53 pm

That water’s so clear! Jealous!! Glad you got to do this, and glad you had a fabulous time.

8. Loukia
    September 2, 2011 | 2:25 am

Look at these gorgeous pictures… and the awesome memories that were made! Looks like you all had a wonderful time.

9. tracey - justanothermommy
    September 2, 2011 | 2:38 am

What a lovely way to end the summer… Clutch the days tightly, my dear.

Hope you’re having a BLAST.

September 2, 2011 | 4:14 am

I envy your diamond lake, and the girlfriends you are able to share it with, and of course your wine…

11. Mel
    September 2, 2011 | 11:48 am

Your love for your babies, the memories you create for them…it’s always so inspiring. *HUG*

12. Melanie
    September 2, 2011 | 12:44 pm

The wine the wine…it makes the negotiations go more smoothly, right?

September 2, 2011 | 1:00 pm

This sounds 100% heavenly.

14. Jenni Chiu
    September 2, 2011 | 3:54 pm

This looks so lovely! And yes… no judgement on the wine. Loft sleeping? Yikes! Looks like it was worth it, though.

15. The Mommy Therapy
    September 2, 2011 | 4:30 pm

Amazing. That sounds like a blast. Well, a sentimental, once you pull back from the craziness blast. Definitely something to remember.

How wonderful to have great friends to share such an amzing time. And how wonderful to have Starbucks AND wine, you were set up to succeed.

Enjoy the start of kindergarten, it’s been a blessing around here.

Oh and did you say 75? We’re working on 75 plus days of over 100. The idea of being in the 80s even can bring me to tears. Enjoy it! :)

16. MommyNamedApril
    September 2, 2011 | 4:51 pm

the problem with central florida is it’s such a transient place… my beloved friends have all packed up their families and scattered to the corners of the country. you’re so lucky to have this. cherish it.

xoxo

17. heather
    September 2, 2011 | 7:00 pm

i love you :-)

18. Joy
    September 2, 2011 | 8:27 pm

Your need to put yourself in situations where sleep deprivation is the only possible outcome – amuses me.
    Thank you.

Also, gorgeous pics of your stunningly beautiful family.

September 2, 2011 | 8:44 pm

It’s a sickness. Or maybe I consider it a challenge? ;-)

September 2, 2011 | 8:37 pm

This? Is gorgeous. Your time away sounds perfect from the wine down to the time outs.

And your words? Pure poetry, as always.

XO

20. Jessica@Team Rasler
    September 2, 2011 | 8:40 pm

Love it. My mom and her six siblings (!) used to pack the 13 of us kids into the 2 lofts of my grandparents’ cabin. I still remember the giggling and the coffeecake and the rafting on the river and the perfect summery goodness of it all. I know your kids will, too. Hope you enjoy plenty of chai in addition to your wine!

P.S. That spaghetti-covered face is priceless.

September 3, 2011 | 1:08 am

Looks gorgeous there. You are some precious and brave families. ;) Glad you got to get away for a bit.

And spaghetti is totally everyone’s vacation meal, isn’t it? yum.

22. Mommygeek
    September 3, 2011 | 2:00 am

You totally deserve a little vaca! WOOT!

23. justmakingourway
    September 5, 2011 | 12:34 pm

Sounds wonderful and crazy and I sincerely hope you have brought enough wine!

24. Michelle D.
    September 5, 2011 | 2:23 pm

Stacy, I feel like this about my 2yo sister everyday. There are 18 years between us, so our bond resembles mother and daughter more then 2 sisters. I take a million pictures of her and document everything she does. And sometimes i sit back and look at her and mourn the tiny baby we brought home from the hospital. I know for a fact i will be no good when she starts school.

25. Lillie
    September 6, 2011 | 3:37 pm

I have to ask… At the beginning of your post there were eleven squealing children and at the end there are only nine. What happened to two of them? (Did Matt steal them back?)

September 6, 2011 | 6:34 pm

Aha! Random kid collection and loss. No, a friend came up for the day with her two kids. I don’t know why the links are working well for everyone … sorry about that!

26. Alexandra
    September 6, 2011 | 3:39 pm

So many things I can say about this: the pictures do most of it for me, though.

Life on earth: sometimes, we are just so blessed, I can’t stand it.

Why do people forget this??

27. Alexandra
    September 6, 2011 | 3:39 pm

P.S. I LOVE your family photo on the bottom here.

LOOOOOOOVE it.

28. AmazingGreis
    September 9, 2011 | 5:19 pm

I want to go to this lake next year!

So glad that it was so much fun for you all!

29. Shauna- Just Two Chicks
    September 11, 2011 | 10:56 pm

Loved ALL of the pictures, the school pictures too! They’re all beautiful children! My daughter wanted her hair braided that way once… that lasted about as long as it took me to do three. :) She has a very sensitive head apparently. I hope they’re loving their new school. I sure do miss teaching kindergarten. It was so fun, and they love everything at that age!!

30. Opal Burks
    December 8, 2011 | 2:39 am

And sometimes i sit back and look at her and mourn the tiny baby we brought home from the hospital. Your love for your babies, the memories you create for them…it’s always so inspiring. Well except for the loft nine kids sleeping thing.

31. Johnny
    May 2, 2012 | 5:09 pm

I’m sure your husband was excited to see “the back side” of you. Kidding aside, that looks so fun! You guys catch any fish?