Sexiest Man Alive

There might be just a smidgen of bias.

Maybe he’s not Brad Pitt, but doesn’t he accessorize well? Babynater ala five year old bjorn. All the cool kids are wearing them.

Happy Birthday, my love. I didn’t post this on your real birthday because I know how freaky you are about my imaginary friends in my internet world. That is how much I love you. Now please stop hyperventilating about the holiday cards. They are from people I have met. In real life. They were lovely and have families of their own and everything.

************************************************

Tying up a few loose ends. December is kicking my butt and my parents get here tomorrow and my sister comes on Wednesday and then ohmigoditsxmas and we’ve got I think a bajillion fun kid activities next week that all involve horrendous amounts of sugar and sticky things that children are supposed to touch like cookie decorating and ornament making. You’ll be able to find me huddled in the corner, rocking, clutching a container of wet wipes. In between crafting and bread baking (I made another batch of challah and braided it into mini-loaves for preschool and I KNOW, it was briefly like I was the most collected, together, organized SAHM ev-ah and then in between dropping off the mini loaves at Ess and Gee’s preschool and taking the rest of the mini loaves to Cue’s preschool I called a complete stranger a b-i-t-c-h in a grocery store parking lot. In my defense, she totally was, but that does not really excuse my behavior.) and managing to get a few cards sent out and oh yeah (!) spending a little time with my children, I haven’t been able to do much more on line than fly by twitter occasionally.

But. Tomorrow. Ess and Gee go to all day preschool camp. Just say it out loud with me. All.day.preschool.camp. Isn’t it beautiful? Like a full orchestra playing Pachabel’s Canon in D. My to do list shall be conquered.

And it’s all good. It really is. This is the part of the holidays I love. We don’t do a lot of presents. Santa brings only one gift to our house, something bulky for all the kids (this year a play kitchen, shhhh ;-) and Matt and I give each of the kids one present and fill their stockings. I love the going, the getting together, the making, the candle lighting, the baking, the note writing, the singing, the eating (oh, the eating, hello grandma’s cherry cookies), the decorating. I love the traditions. Yesterday, the kids wore antler headbands and we danced in front of the finally decorated tree for an hour and I took one of those deep, warm breaths to stop the happiness from spilling right out of my eyes as silly, sappy tears.

All of that to say that there are two really important things I want to tell you in case I don’t get back on the computer again until, oh I don’t know, March. First, your comments on the Matching post were awesome. I loved them because so many of you identified with the issue and had dealt with it in some way even if you are not an adoptive family. Second, thank you for helping us with our holiday card question. We went with “another year, another Rudolf.” I do believe I was slightly ahead in the voting (not that I counted), but Matt really liked it and as Andrea rightly pointed out, that may not, okay, most likely won’t, all right, all right, probably most definitely won’t ever work again.

***************************

Updated P.S. This post makes me sound like an ass. Of course there are three very important things that I want to tell you. The most important being a wish for the merriest and busiest and traditioniest of weeks for all of you. I planned to say that in a separate post. That I totally intend to publish before March. XO.

39 Responses to Sexiest Man Alive
  1. Maggie May
    December 20, 2009 | 11:12 pm

He looks marvelous, and happy belated birthday!

Merry Christmas, lovely girl. XOXO

2. K.Line
    December 20, 2009 | 11:39 pm

You know, you say that's not a lot of gifts – but when you add them up, I'm sure you're doing quite a bit of shopping! :-) Have a wonderful time with your gorgeous family. Take photos!

3. Vodka Mom
    December 20, 2009 | 11:47 pm

he kicks butt.

and so do you.

4. for a different kind of girl
    December 20, 2009 | 11:51 pm

Happy belated to your husband! Wow, how your adorable boys look like him!

Hope you enjoy a fantastic holiday with your family. Merry Christmas!

5. Shell
    December 20, 2009 | 11:54 pm

How darling!

All day preschool camp? Sign my boys up, too!

It feels good to seem like you are the together mom, doesn't it? Even though the mean moms at my boys' preschool totally were complaining about my gift making them look bad- not realizing that I was the one who brought it in. It felt good to speak up after they got done with their complaining. LOL

6. p-huong
    December 21, 2009 | 12:25 am

Man, I've been so absent minded lately. Forgot to put my vote in for the holiday card (was going to vote for "another year, another Rudolph") And before I could get to it, I missed out on that clicker contest you had. I think I would have simply banged on my keyboard to see what number comes up and that would have been my guess.

Happy Holidays! Stay clean, tidy, and sane ;)

7. Pamela
    December 21, 2009 | 12:36 am

there is just nothing better than a man and his baby.

December 21, 2009 | 12:52 am

I'm so glad that you posted his profile picture because I was missing that from my portfolio. Now I just need a few strands of hair.

9. Annje
    December 21, 2009 | 1:51 am

1- I think he would definitely win over Brad Pitt.

2- Nothing says the holidays are here like behavior that makes you resort to obscenities in the parking lot (I am sure she was a B*)

3- Have a great week with your family. (I'll be in the other corner rocking and massaging my temples)

10. Mom24
    December 21, 2009 | 2:14 am

Very sexy indeed. Especially while mine is being such a complete ass.

Um, could you stop being the most totally collected and pulled together SAHM ever? You're really making me look bad.

Have a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy your family.

December 21, 2009 | 2:27 am

was just popping into the comments to say … happy holidays to you as well.
    but then marinka went and made me laugh so hard i almost peed my pants. (which is relatively easy this third pregnancy … but it was still really funny.)
    see you in march. ;)

12. Mama Cas
    December 21, 2009 | 2:51 am

That pic of your husband is adorable. There's a lot to be said for a man who can look so comfortable wearing a Bjorn and a baby. Happy Birthday!

Happy Holidays to your whole family. I'll still be here in March when you finally find time to post. See ya!

13. Michelle~ Mommy Confessions
    December 21, 2009 | 3:05 am

He sounds exactly like my husband. Right down to the "are these cards from more of your weirdo Internet friends'?

14. AmazingGreis
    December 21, 2009 | 3:23 am

Happy Birthday (belatedly)from an imaginary on-line friend!!!

Hope ya'll have a great holiday!!! XOXO

December 21, 2009 | 3:30 am

He sounds so much like my husband. He doesn't get internet friends or really even TRY to get it. Sometimes when we fight, he'll be all, "Why don't you just go email all of your "friends" about what a jerk I am!?" And then we'll both just look at each other and start laughing because it's too ridiculous to keep fighting.
    I want to hear the story about the stranger in the parking lot.

16. Sprite's Keeper
    December 21, 2009 | 3:33 am

That's a great picture! Merry Christmas to you and your family and could you ship some of that challah to me? I'm craving it!!

17. Anna See
    December 21, 2009 | 3:34 am

I hope I wasn't the b-word in your parking lot! May your day of getting things done tomorrow ROCK.

…I think Matt's super-cute and I mean that in a very non-stalkerish way!

18. excavator
    December 21, 2009 | 3:56 am

He wears him well.

19. Robin
    December 21, 2009 | 6:49 am

And he's very well accessorized too.

Have a great holiday!

PS We LOVE all day holiday camp around here. My oldest has now aged out. There was much wailing (mine) and knashing of teeth (also mine).

PPS Cherry cookies? I must know more.

December 21, 2009 | 2:36 pm

I think you're being a tease by not telling us what behavior prompted the obscenity.

Hope you'll have a lovely holiday!

21. Leah and Maya
    December 21, 2009 | 3:31 pm

i agree very handsome wearing a cute little baby, you never know he might have on that sexy shirt that you have showed a picture of him in under it, ha ha ha! have a Merry Holiday becasue it sounds like you celebrate both, so that much more to do!

22. just making my way
    December 21, 2009 | 4:09 pm

Love the picture and I hope his birthday was great!

Have a wonderful time, as I'm sure you will. Merry, Merry Christmas!

23. Elaine A.
    December 21, 2009 | 9:05 pm

Happy Birthday to your man. He does look good wearing a baby! : )

I'll be huddled in the corner with my wet wipes too this week. You crack me up!!

24. Beth
    December 22, 2009 | 2:52 am

Happy Birthday to your man.

And you have it more together than I do. And my baby is 17. We just lit Hanukkah candles for the first time last night. After Hanukkah was over. There were no latkes. No challah. No gelt. Nothing.

We decided a few weeks ago to not do any gifts this year. I think I'm going to like Christmas this year.

25. Dearheart
    December 22, 2009 | 6:04 am

Matt's got a certain JCrew or even Abercrombie vibe going here…but maybe it's the demographic. Here's to frosting with sprinkles!

26. Connie Weiss
    December 22, 2009 | 2:11 pm

He is pretty hot. Is it okay that I said that about your husband?

I'm so behind on blog reading….we should all have to take some time on in December.

Happy Christmas!

27. Steve
    December 22, 2009 | 11:06 pm

A mutual friend of yours introduced me to your blog, Beth (we grew ip together and went to the same church). We are in the world of being a foster parents for the first time and a little 3-year old boy came into our world and rocked us silly! I'm going to look around your place now if that's ok! ;o)

28. Carolyn...Online
    December 23, 2009 | 12:42 am

Oh my god I hate December. It's enough to make me go wicken. I swear to mother earth. And if I told the Internet when Scott's birthday was it would sneak into our house and steal his identity and socks before sun up. ;-)

29. Manic Mommy
    December 23, 2009 | 9:30 pm

Happy Birthday, Matt.

From another stalker/imaginary
    friend.

S – I hope you and your family have a wonderful, memorable, and peaceful Christmas and New Year.

xoxo

30. Amy
    December 23, 2009 | 10:02 pm

Don't feel bad about the b-i-t-c-h thing. The other day I was sick, no groceries, but had my 5 year old. I took her to Mcdonalds at 12 noon to go through the drive through. Some woman blew her horn at me for NO reason. Without thinking, my arm flew up and I gave her the bird. In front of my kid, mind you. Oops. I think I'll blog about that. :) Happy Holidays!
    Amy

31. imbeingheldhostage
    December 25, 2009 | 3:01 pm

You never sound like an ass. Sometimes I have to reread to see why you would say something like that. Happy Christmas to you and your suspicious but stylish hunny who is no longer celebrating a birthday ;-)

Merry Christmas!!

32. Jeanne
    December 25, 2009 | 3:39 pm

Merry Christmas!

33. ewe are here
    December 25, 2009 | 11:50 pm

I need an all day preschool camp. Desperately.

;-)

Merry Christmas. And your husband's accessorizing skills are truly amazing. hehe

December 28, 2009 | 3:27 am

Ooo, love the challah. It's beautiful. And I assume yummy… any chance you'll share the recipe? :)

And I really, REALLY gotta know how much of your to do list really got done when they were in all day preschool camp? Sometimes I have a few hours free, and I have so many things I WANT to do, but I'm consistently shocked by how long it takes to do everything. Which is why I'm perpetually behind. Ok, so it starts to explain it!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

35. bernthis
    December 28, 2009 | 10:28 pm

sadly, in my entire marriage that thought never even crossed my mind.

36. mosey along
    December 29, 2009 | 9:18 pm

I just saw a comment elsewhere from you and wondered why I hadn't seen a new post from you in a while, but here's this one. Which I totally missed.

December has kicked my butt too, and along with the frivolity comes a massive sigh of relief that life can get back to normal.

Hope your holidays were sane.

37. the mama bird diaries
    December 31, 2009 | 3:39 am

he does look sexy! Happy New Years! xo

38. maggie, dammit
    December 31, 2009 | 3:49 pm

He does look wicked sexy there. Happy pretend birthday to yer man from one of your scary Internet friends–but I've hugged you in real life so we're cool, right? I know, I know… my husband is exactly the same way.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and I adore you. xo

39. Ann's Rants
    December 31, 2009 | 8:54 pm

Yum.

I'm speaking of the challah below of course, would never Yum a friend's husband.

What I meant was.

mmmm.

Like in contemplation, in reverie in in in

yes. I protest too much. Yum to BOTH of you.

Happy New Year!