Up, Up and Away!

Matt got the kids little gifts yesterday for Martin Luther King Day. Not because the day has anything to do with gifts, because they like gifts and they signify some kind of occasion for them. While we worked on the new puzzle today, I reminded them that Daddy got the puzzle for MLK day.

Me: He was a civil rights leader and the movement he led created a lot of changes in America. They got people to see that treating black people differently from other people was wrong.
Ess: Did he like puzzles?
Me: Maybe. He worked for equality for all people, no matter their color. That means treating everyone the same, giving all people the same rights.
Gee: I didn’t get a puzzle. Ess got a puzzle.
Me: You got cards and she’s letting you play.
Gee: Did Santa bring these presents?
Me: No, Daddy got them for you. Do you know what Martin Luther King said? He said he had a dream that all little children would stand together.
Gee: Santa says, ‘ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas.’
Ess: No, he says, ‘up, up and away.’

I give up. This year. I apologize Dr. King, but I have a feeling you are watching other events today. I am proud just to be alive in America on January 20, 2009. Up, up and away!

****************************************************

Honest scrap tag number four. I am fairly strict about dessert with my kids, but I have a ridiculous sweet tooth. After lunch, I crave sweets. I admit that I hide in the bathroom and eat junk. I can’t justifiably call it occasionally. I’m going to say somewhere between every day and often. I used to sneak sweets in the car by ordering milkshakes at drive thrus every few days. Now the kids are all older and smarty pantsish and they know what a milkshake is. Brats.

****************************************************

Thank yous.

Making lemonade from lemons is one of my favorite expressions – because I like to say, nah, I’ll just suck on the lemons. I love sour. Thanks Pam, for seeing me as one of those people that can turn things around. It’s completely mutual. Pam lifts me up every week with her You’re Gonna Miss This Moment carnival.

I am embarrassed because I forgot to thank Katy at Funny Girl yesterday. She sent the fabulous button my way as well. While I absolutely know that she wouldn’t hold my carelessness against me, I’m mad I missed the opportunity to link to her. Her funny, heartfelt, honest posts on raising a daughter, adoption, ADHD, life and faith touch my heart deeply.

********************************************************

Trivia. Maura swept the board yesterday and earned my devotion (as if she didn’t already have it) by finding the lyrics to BOING BOING DAVID. Impressive research skills. A lot of you knew the book, The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler. Children’s literature is a good category.

Okay, here’s a few favorites, title and author for five points. Frail boy rides around the time/space continuum on a Pegasus. After her father dies, a wealthy little girl befriends rats and stays true to her loving nature during her time at the mercy of a cruel boarding school mistress. Sweet tale of orphaned siblings that find an unusual home and survive on their own until a doctor takes them all in. I’m inspired to start collecting the next level of books for my kids!

30 Responses to Up, Up and Away!
  1. Mike from NC
    January 20, 2009 | 12:57 pm

I don’t read so I’m even going to guess. I just wanted to let you know that we got 2-4 inches of snow in the Carolinas last night cancelling school. Maybe Matt gave me this present in honor of Obama. Enjoy your last couple of weeks before joining us in reality and COLD!!

2. Robin
    January 20, 2009 | 1:07 pm

Ooh, ooh! The Little Princess! I love that book!

3. Pam
    January 20, 2009 | 1:08 pm

Laughing at your convo about MLK! Such a familiar ring to our convo’s around here! ;) Thanks for the link, and the love!! ;)

4. Carolyn...Online
    January 20, 2009 | 1:28 pm

LOVE the MLK learning opportunity. Why do we try?

5. *Akilah Sakai*
    January 20, 2009 | 1:46 pm

The MLK conversation was adorable. LOL! What’s important is you tried and as they get older, they’ll “hear” you better.

6. Ann's Rants
    January 20, 2009 | 1:48 pm

I, too, felt like I should say a few words about race to almost-Five yesterday. It hurt my heart just feeling like I was pealing away layers of innocence, yet realizing that innocence is a funciton of white privilege.

7. Anna See
    January 20, 2009 | 3:27 pm

1.The Little Prince?
    2. The Little Princess?
    3. Boxcar Children? Although I may be confused about this one, b/c I think they end up living w/ their grandfather.

p.s. Watched entire “I Have a Dream” speech on YouTube w/ my kids. 9 yr old made it through, 7 yr old didn’t. You have time for ample MLK celebration.

8. Casey
    January 20, 2009 | 3:32 pm

Nice try with the MLK education. Whenever I try to talk to my kid about anything, he’s always too distracted by a light or ceiling fan or piece of lint to pay attention. We have a book on MLK but he’s clueless.

9. Momma to 1 Looking for #2
    January 20, 2009 | 3:52 pm

Ok the second one is A Little Princess by Fances Hodgson Burnett…
    Last on Boxcar Children by Gertrude Warner
    Is the first one an Anne McCaffrey book? Sound like her type of book.

10. Heather
    January 20, 2009 | 4:19 pm

I really am hoping that my children will remain how they are now – they don’t see color they see friends. Loved the MLK learning opportunity but MLK and Santa both gave gifts, ones emotional and ones phyical. (Gosh this is deep for me).

January 20, 2009 | 4:31 pm

I love the conversation! And nice try “happy to be living in America in 2009″. Like we don’t all know that you’re basking on foreign soil, in the sun.

12. d
    January 20, 2009 | 5:40 pm

I thought A Wrinkle in Time was the pegasus one but perhaps not – that one might not come up for a few years.

Love snow in Carolina! Work canceled for no good reason.

13. Kate Coveny Hood
    January 20, 2009 | 5:42 pm

I just spent the inauguration speech with my ear pressed to the television while my children screamed for my attention. MLK Day lesson? I didn’t even attempt it.

I feel the same way about sweets. I long for the days when I had one newborn and three months of maternity leave spend eating ice cream in front of the TV (why exactly did I not enjoy that more? can’t remember…)

14. K.Line
    January 20, 2009 | 7:21 pm

Your kids are adorable. Don’t worry, someday they’ll listen to your mommy teachings! I love that your kids are basically the same age. It makes for such terrific conversation.

15. Issas Crazy World
    January 20, 2009 | 7:25 pm

I used to hide sweets and then they learned where to find them. Brats.

Three is a bit little to get it and in a way that’s good. Because I’ve had to explain some things to Morgan this year that I wish she’d never had to know. Either way though, one day they’ll know the significance of today…and yesterday. :)

1. A Wrinkle in Time?
    2. I thought I knew, but no clue.
    3. Boxcar kids. Bought some for M and she loves them. I adored them as a kid. Funny, but my mom did too. Have to love books, they last forever.

January 20, 2009 | 7:43 pm

That was a valiant effort in conveying the importance of MLK. Even if the kids didn’t get it, some of your readers did. My brain hurts too much to even attempt those conversations. I’m going to concentrate on “who do you want to send a Valentine to” for now. Maybe when they are older…

17. mam
    January 20, 2009 | 11:06 pm

Well, others have (as always) been here before I and got the trivia answers, but YA lit is one of my favorite categories so how about these, two of my childhood favorites (along with Wrinkle in Time and Boxcar Kids):

* Girl and little brother accidentally abandoned when entire tribe is relocated from island; live alone in nature.

* Super-smart young boy living with family in Utah, solves mysteries, Mormon.

18. Spring
    January 20, 2009 | 11:36 pm

You can also find me sneaking sweets. Until school, my kids had no idea about sweets. All the while I had my secret staff of chocolate hidden in plain sight!

19. Jeanne
    January 20, 2009 | 11:46 pm

The first book — is it the sequel to a Wrinkle in Time.

BTW — Have you ever read L’Engle’s book on King David? It’s awesome. (I promise to stop leaving you questions.)

20. anymommy
    January 21, 2009 | 12:19 am

Morning! You all are good, as usual.

Robin got The Little Princess, one of my favorites.

Anna See was first with number three, The Boxcar Children, although they may have ended up with their grandfather? Whoops!

Momma to One was the first one with the authors for two books, so five points to her too.

Marinka – American owned soil. Yay imperialism!

Aunt D and Issa are close with A Wrinkle in Time, but Jeanne is right, it’s the third book in that series. Anyone know the title?

Mam – Fun! The first one is Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell, but I don’t know the second one at all?!

Jeanne – No, but I love her books, I’ll look for it.

January 21, 2009 | 12:23 am

The Secret Garden is also on my list. I love YA. I can’t wait for that stage :)
    (Actually, scratch that, I can wait…)

22. MommyTime
    January 21, 2009 | 12:27 am

woot woot! The third book in that series is “A Swiftly Tilting Planet,” after “A Wrinkle in Time” and “A Wind in the Door.” I LOVE L’Engle.

As for sweets: me too, which is why I mostly can’t have them in the house at all.

23. anymommy
    January 21, 2009 | 12:34 am

Whohoo – MommyTime steals the last five points. L’Engle is one of my favorites.

Michelle – LOVE The Secret Garden, I used it at first, but it was really hard to describe without giving it all away.

January 21, 2009 | 2:41 am

I remember reading those books as a kid. And yay, I sorta remembered the names of them. I just don’t read your blog early enough ;)

And nope, we didn’t explain MLK to anyone. Of course I also tried to explain the concept of debt reduction services and mortgages and the lending system to Mister Man on the way home from the gym today. I think MLK would have been easier!

25. PsychMamma
    January 21, 2009 | 3:03 am

Up, up and away to you too! Hee! How very cute. If it makes you feel any better, after lengthy discussion about inaugural events and what was happening, J resorted to calling it, “Obama Day.” :-)

26. PsychMamma
    January 21, 2009 | 3:04 am

P.S. L’Engle is my favorite kid’s author. I must have re-read A Ring of Endless Light 23 times growing up.

27. K
    January 21, 2009 | 11:46 am

I think it’s awesome you even tried to explain the holiday to them.

Hopefully it will go smoothier in a few years.

28. mam
    January 21, 2009 | 5:13 pm

My second reference was to “The Great Brain” series…really fun. Takes place in the early 1800s.

29. katy (aka funny girl)
    January 22, 2009 | 4:48 pm

TENDERNESS!!

30. Manic Mommy
    January 24, 2009 | 2:24 pm

I actually tried a few teachable moments with Gremlin during the inauguration. Mostly I let him cover the livingroom in legos. A for effort!

Here’s me, lobbying for some mommy-brained pop culture trivia…although I did know The Little Princess.