Just One Year

I adore birth stories. I love adoption stories too, but that will have to wait for another birthday. Today is Quinn’s day. (Usually, “Cue.” I adore his name and want to use it today.)

A few months ago, I joined a birth focus group for a friend writing an article on birth choices. One of the midwives said something that I will never forget. She said that American women are starved to tell their birth stories. It was hard to miss the truth of that statement since fifteen women spent five hours discussing our stories. I’ve thought a lot about that night in light of the fun I have discovered blogging. There’s a weird parallel. Women are starved to tell our stories and be a part of each other’s stories in general. That is the thing that draws me to read blogs and write posts and comment and participate in this whole blogging thing. The stories. Compelling. Joyful. Painful. Sweet. Honest. I love them. So, if you care to, tell me your birth story. Put it in the comments or write a post of your own and let me know. I’m not kidding, I’ll read them all. You won’t be able to get rid of me.

I tell my kids their birth stories every year on their birthday as a bedtime story. They have to listen. They get all pissy because they want ELMO or MOMMY MINE or PAJAMA TIME for the kajillionth time. I get all pissy because I birthed at least two of them and it wasn’t a walk in the park and if I want to create a tradition of telling the story on their birthday, well they will listen raptly and ask reverent questions. And then, I have to read all those books too, because otherwise they will never shut up and go to sleep, and I get pissier because it takes a lot of time. It’s a lovely tradition.

This is the first time I will write one down. Chronologically, they’ll be backwards because Quinn is my third child and his birthday arrives first in the year. His older brother, my first birth experience, was enormous and ten days late and generally a huge pain about getting himself out of my body, but he forged his own Chunnel, which ended up being a positive for Quinn and I. Quinn was ten days early and fairly small in comparison. It was like running Thomas the Tank Engine down the chasm blasted for the Orient Express. Quicker, is what I’m saying, I don’t know about easier or less painful, but mercifully much quicker.

The logistics were harder though. Birth is so much more stressful with two twenty-month-old kids at home. I worried for weeks that he would come before my mom arrived. We didn’t know a lot of people in town yet. About two weeks before my due date, I started having a lot of false labor. I became obsessed with going into labor on Sunday night because we had a nanny on Mondays. I figured I could labor at home until she got there Monday morning and Matt could be back before she had to be at her other job Tuesday at 8 a.m. I swear I actually willed it to happen exactly like that.

I made Matt have sex with me Sunday night (the sacrifices he makes, I know) and I woke up with contractions at eleven. I was so hopeful that I refused to change positions for four hours (because all the books say change positions and drink water and they’ll go away.) Matt went to work in the morning. He didn’t buy it. Kay (the nanny) came at eight a.m. and I went to my weekly appointment. I was a solid four centimeters and still contracting. I told our midwife to stick her fingers up there and poke him hard because I had a nanny until the next morning and that was the little bugger’s window or he had to wait until the next week.

Matt came home (because the midwife officially declared me in labor, yeah, I’m still a little miffed). We walked and waited for it to get really painful, which, you know, is bound to happen at some point. We had planned to have our doula, Bobbette (LOVE that name, always makes me smile), come to our house, but we ended up wanting to meet her at the hospital. I unexpectedly felt uncomfortable being in the house with Ess and Gee. It had also occurred to me that I wanted my water to break on their floor, not mine. I’m partial to my hard wood floors. Preferably, no birth goo.

The triage nurse totally burst my bubble. I’m sure they are very nice people outside of work, but I’m never a big fan of labor triage nurses. They’re like guardians at the gates of heaven and I’m on the wrong list. This one was all “oh honey you’ll probably be going back home, we can’t keep you if you’re still four, stripping membranes always causes false labor, blah, blah.” I was about in tears because the contractions had hurt for hours, so I wasn’t just there for giggles, and Kay was staying the night and Bobbette was driving 45 minutes – you know, like a good little lawyer I’d PLANNED this. It does my heart so much good to say that when she finally checked me I was six centimeters dilated and fully effaced. I still get a thrill out of the look on her face in my memory.

I am a complete freak about needles. While I have had lovely natural birth experiences, I’m not an advocate of medication-free birth. It hurts like hell no matter how well you puff breathe or hum or rock or scream obscenities at your husband. I’m an advocate of whatever kind of birth the mother would like to have. For me, I would rather breathe and curse and wail and cry while a baby squeezes it’s way out of my vagina than allow someone to shove a needle into my spine. I’m also just a bit of a control freak. You know, like birth plan in 10 point font, refuse routine IV site, royal pain in the ass control freak.

Quinn’s labor was lovely as these things go. I’m not a graceful laborer. I watched the Business of Being Born and felt deep and abiding hatred for that gorgeous girl who puffed a little and cried tears of joy while her baby slipped majestically onto the floor of her trendy, flawlessly decorated Manhattan apartment to the sound of silence punctuated by a few gasps of awe. Even her vagina was pretty. With a baby coming out of it. That’s not me. The midwife broke my water and I transitioned quickly and then hit the meltdown stage where I scream and cry and swear I can not possibly do it and he will have to stay inside me because there is just absolutely no way. Lo and behold, despite all my protests and sobbing and caterwauling, after only thirty minutes of actual pushing (versus three hours for the rock-blasting path-forger known as Gee), Quinn emerged just after midnight. All slimy-red and furious and absolutely priceless like only newborns can be. A little over twenty-four hours, labor-inducing sex to finish.

By the time Matt and I had talked it all through and gazed in amazed adoration at Quinn and said good-bye to Bobbette, it was six a.m. and he had to leave so that Kay could get to her Tuesday job. Perfectly planned and executed. Thank you. He brought Ess and Gee back later that afternoon. He called me from the lobby to prepare me before they came up to the room. “Stace,” he cautioned, “our ‘babies’ are huge, giant, gargantuan children and you won’t want them anywhere near your newborn.” I was all, “no, my sweeties, I can’t wait.” HOLY ENORMOUS KIDS. They walked in and I couldn’t believe it. Um, who took my sweet toddlers and replaced them with these dinosaur offspring? You forget so quickly just how little newborns are.

And, in the blink of an eye, he’s one year old. Happy Birthday Quinn Isaac. We love you, baby.

41 Responses to Just One Year
  1. Vodka Mom
    July 31, 2008 | 11:32 am

I love your writing- and the story is wonderful! Here is mine…I had three weeks left in my pregnancy, and it was a Thursday. I was teaching fifth grade in Washington D.C., and had just returned home after teaching that day. I thought I’d just lie on the couch and put my feet up for a few minutes, when I felt something happen. (It was wet, and not normal.) I immediately jumped up, grabbed the phone, and ran into the bathroom. I called my sister-in-law, and not my doctor, because she had just given birth to my nephew a month earlier, and her water had broken. She could probably tell me if that was what had happened. It wasn’t long into the conversation that the water breaking was confirmed by my own common sense and the non-stop gushing. (Sorry, but that’s what happened.) Now came the hard part – tracking down my husband who was playing softball at one of the nearby fields. Of course I didn’t know that there were about 25 fields- all connected- at the particular place he was playing. (This was long before cell-phones.) I sent my friend’s husband, who had never met my husband, to try to track him down. About 45 minutes later, my husband called. It was not to see how I was, but to find out if he had time to play the second game in the double-header. (okay, now I’m getting mad all over again just thinking about that!) Well, I finally convinced him to come home, and we made the 45 minute drive to Alexandria Hospital. They admitted me, and several hours later with no contractions, Bob decided to go home and get a little sleep before coming back. Guess what happened when he got home. Yep. The contractions began. (Served him right for playing a few extra innings before actually coming home.) To make a long story short, I had Sarah 18 hours later. Yes, I said 18 hours. During this period of LABOR, Bob made several trips to a 7-eleven, and he and his sisters happily munched on Chinese Food, and other various tasty things while I sucked on ice chips. (Did I mention that I hadn’t eaten since lunch that THURSDAY? To top if ALL off, after the emergency C-section (they had lost sarah’s pulse-faulty connection…) I was wheeled into a recovery room. There to greet me (just try to picture how I must have looked after all of this!) were not only my mother and father-in- law, my two sister-in-laws, my 16 year old brother-in-law and two of his friends I did not know. Well, anyway, she went from a three week early, 5 lb 13 oz bundle of joy, to the lovely young lady you see in the picture. Yep, 18 hours of labor – worth every minute. (Now, if I can find Bob, I’m going to kick his a**)

2. Vodka Mom
    July 31, 2008 | 11:34 am

oops, no pic. I’m still new at this. :-)

3. Z
    July 31, 2008 | 11:52 am

I’ve got no birth story to share, but I loved reading yours!
    And Happy Birthday to Quinn!!!

4. Aunt D
    July 31, 2008 | 12:42 pm

Happy Birthday Quinn! You’re still to young to care about who sent what so I sent something for your mom :) I’ll start bribing you to like me best when you’re three.

July 31, 2008 | 1:22 pm

Happy birthday, Quinn and family. What a great story. Except, was anymommy styled by a team of professionals right after the birth? Because she looks suspiciously fantastic.

6. 'That Girl'
    July 31, 2008 | 1:35 pm

Oh, thank you for sharing that. This office was filled w/ ooohh’s and aaahh’s. I’m not a graceful laborer either. My births were the opposite of most womens’ experience. The first was perfect and super-easy. I would call the second one a nightmare if it wasn’t for the little miracle at the end.

7. wfbdoglover
    July 31, 2008 | 1:36 pm

As usual beautiful writing! I hope you save these all for your children. (minus the rated R part of making your husband have sex with you.)

I have one child, one birth. I was a control freak as well. (note was)

My labor is rather simple, like my pregnancy. I was a few days past my due date, and was scheduled for a non-stress test that morning. I too, hate needles and when my doctor suggested inducing, I said I would rather have a lethal injection.

I went into labor at 1:40 a.m. on a Monday morning, I woke my husband up about 6:30. Took a shower, paced and we left about 7:30 a.m. to head to a hospital 40 mins away. At that time I realized that I didn’t plan on going into labor during rush hour traffic. (the horror)

We arrived at the hospital, went upstairs and I got a room rather quickly. I paced until 9:00 at which point decided I had to get into bed. I ran and leaped across the room and jumped in.

It took until 12:40 for the “little scout” to be born. I had two shots of a narcotic type drug to help me delivery my 22-1/2″, 9lb 4-1/2 ounce child.

Pregnancy and labor was a piece of cake for me, it was the AFTER life that was a struggle. A strongly independent person, attached to the hip by a happy, bubbly baby who didn’t sleep day or night and loved to be held – thus I could get nothing done. (I would walk to the coffee shop and before I could walk up, order and get my coffee – my little scout would be a wake and I wouldn’t be able to enjoy) sigh. Two 40 min naps a day – (no lie) and bed by 9 p.m. and up at 5 a.m. – plus up all night. That was my first three years of his life. – thus no more.

Thanks for sharing your story.

8. Connie
    July 31, 2008 | 1:38 pm

Happy Birthday Quinn!

Birth #1. Went into labor night before due date, got the Eppi, started pushing at 7am. Beautiful baby boy at 10am. Eating chicken fried steak and watching Y&R by 11am.

Birth #2. 37 week…fever, infection, induction, almost died from eppi. 6am….baby is about to fall out of me. Waiting for doctor! Three pushes…beautiful baby girl at 7am. Rushed to NICU. Just a little jaundiced. Home by Noon the next day because I threatened to escape.

If I am ever blessed with #3, I will have a home birth! I hate birthing in the hospital.

9. reneedesigns
    July 31, 2008 | 1:53 pm

No birth stories here either, I’ll wait until the adoption story day.

That picture of you and Quinn is priceless (and you do look awfully good to have just given birth). Happy Birthday little guy.

Since I’ve never given birth, I’m always freaked out by how small babies are. When I held my niece the day she was born I thought for sure I would break her. I was happier when her mom took her back and I could hold my sturdy toddler.

10. Kymberli
    July 31, 2008 | 1:55 pm

I love reading birth stories. Mine are special and I cherish each of them, but they don’t seem to be as exciting as regular deliveries. Each of mine were planned c-sections to for the most part, they each read the same.

Your train analogies made me snort.

11. anymommy
    July 31, 2008 | 2:22 pm

I’m behind! Being on the west coast is not good for keeping up with blogs.

Vodka mom – Wow! Good thing that was your first baby (I think?) because sometimes things go really fast after your water breaks. Bob would be in a lot more trouble than he already is! And, I’m not sure my husband would have survived if he had eaten in front of me or brought visitors anywhere near me. Although, he did turn on some kind of sports before we left for the hospital with Quinn and I shut that down with a glare. Hopefully, Bob has survived your remembrances ;-) Thanks for sharing.

Z and Dee – Thank you, he plans to enjoy the cake. (As do I.)

Marinka – Um, yes, that is the way to my heart, thank you.

That girl – I will look forward to those ‘hey you’ tales!

Wfb – Yup, the birth is dramatic and consuming, but life after baby is a lot harder. He was huge! I bet his baby picturs are darling, you’ll have to post some when you get a chance. Yeah, and labor in a car – one of my worst fears.

Connie – Your labors go pretty quickly once you hit the hard part. Of course, you don’t mention how long the contraction part went on before the pushing. I have thought a lot about home birth as well. Not sure if I could fully commit – but it’s appealing.

Renee – Me too. Even my own. And I don’t even have particularly small babies. I’m looking forward to adoption story day.

Kym – I love all birth stories. C-section stories fascinate me because I haven’t had one. One of my best friends told me about some of her organs being placed on her chest so they could reach the baby. (Her husband saw them!) That’s an image that is a bit frightening to me.

12. Tracey
    July 31, 2008 | 3:29 pm

Happy Birthday, Quinn! I love birth stories and telling my own. It’s such a powerful experience, that it cannot be contained in just one or two tellings.

13. OhioGma
    July 31, 2008 | 3:30 pm

Happy birthday to baby Quinn. Love the pictures. My first story concludes with the birth of your husband and our very special red headed joy. It was just one week before Christmas and the tree and presents were ready. Baby was 9 days late and I was getting more and more miserable and anxious. Dad was working at the new house (interior construction) so I decided to do a little more shopping – needed one more gift (you know me). I went to the mall and purchased a sledge hammer (which I later realized I would have to carry to the opposite end of the mall to the car).I drove the 30 miles home feeling very tired. Hmm. were those labor pains or just sledge hammer pains.
    I called Dad and told him that maybe he should come home. He finished his project, came home took a shower and then we drove to the hospital. The labor intensified and in the early morning hours I had a C-section (first of three) to deliver a beautiful 10 lb 5oz. red headed boy. The years have gone by, but I remember as if it were yesterday and even though our baby has a family and babies of his own he is still very precious to us.

14. Anonymous
    July 31, 2008 | 3:45 pm

I had to laugh about how big your older kids seemed after you had Quinn. We felt the same way after Cam was born. Emma seemed ENORMOUS, particularly her hands. Thanks for the story!

Truda

15. michmomto3
    July 31, 2008 | 5:52 pm

Happy B-day, Quinn! I love birth stories, too. Only my first one has really any amount of drama as it was my only vaginal birth. The other 2 were scheduled c-sections. But, since I’ve done it both ways I feel a certain amount of pride in being able to relate to all stories about births.
    Your mother-in-laws post made me tear up as it was very sweet. It’s great to know that all those years later she can still remember it like it was yesterday and the baby she had is still her baby. I know that I’m going to be the Mom who has a hard time letting them grow up.
    I also had to laugh at vodka mom and her water breaking. My own water was leaking and it took me about an hour to figure it out. I thought I had reached the all-time lows of pregnancy and had lost control of my bladder. Duh! I was clueless and in denial that it might be time to give birth!
    I love all your postings – they are terrific to read.

16. Awake
    July 31, 2008 | 6:14 pm

Wonderful story. Aren’t you glad you wrote it out?

I agree with the previous poster – you looked beautiful for just having given birth.

17. Jennifer
    July 31, 2008 | 7:42 pm

Thank you SO much for sharing your story! I love hearing other mama’s birth stories. My little muffin is less than two weeks away from one! UGH! Your little one is a DOLL! Love those precious baby thighs in the monkey bar shot! Happy birthday, Little Guy!
    xoxo
    jen

18. Minivan Mom
    July 31, 2008 | 7:54 pm

Happy birthday Quinn!

Cute idea about posting birth stories – I totally agree with you that women are compelled to tell their birth stories. Have you ever noticed that whenever a group of women are around a newborn, within minutes birth stories are being shared? You can bet money on it.

Hmmmm…do I want to do a post about my birth stories, or rage about the evil conglomerate Walmart? Decisions, decisions.

19. anymommy
    July 31, 2008 | 8:13 pm

Thanks Tracey! Powerful and empowering, I agree.

Ohiogma – (Hi!) And he still loves sledgehammers to this day. He wielded one with authority just yesterday taking out a fence. Beautiful, thanks for commenting today.

Truda – Cue continues to seem tiny to me compared to S and G – but I have a feeling he’ll catch up.

Michmom – It is impossible to know what’s happening the first time you experience labor, no matter how much you read!

Awake – I am and thank you! I’m looking forward to your story this time around.

Jennifer – I know, those yummy baby fat rolls. I’ll be looking forward to your birth story post – not long now.

MM – Both! I’m a Wal-mart hater AND a birth story lover, so you will have one happy reader.

20. PsychMamma
    July 31, 2008 | 9:26 pm

Happy Birthday, Quinn! My birth story is probably longer than you want for a comment, so I’ll have to work on a post. I LOVE the tradition you have of telling your kids their birth/adoption stories and think I have to steal it.

21. Andrea's Sweet Life
    July 31, 2008 | 10:11 pm

Happy Birthday, Quinn! Our babies are not far apart (2 months).

I am a fellow lover of birth stories and can’t wait to come back and read the ones here!

Unfortunately, I’m working today and can’t read OR write much. I think I’ll take you up on writing on my own blog and sending you the link, though… I never have written mine out the way I’d like, and this is the perfect opportunity.

22. AMomTwoBoys
    July 31, 2008 | 10:45 pm

Happy Birthday, Quinn!!!!

I'll save Zach's birth story for his 1st in a few weeks! Can't believe he's one already! Crazy how fast it goes by, isn't it?

But Dylan…let's see:
    Was 37.5 weeks pregnant-
    Had my baby shower on Sunday and headed home. Went to bed and woke up at 1:30am needing to pee. Didn't need to pee, but noticed I was wet. Slightly pink, wet. Told DJ I was going to go sit in the living room. 10 minutes later I was back in the bathroom confirming that there was fluid coming out of me. Woke my mom, who'd been in town for my shower & was scheduled to leave in a few more hours) and we all headed to the hospital.

Got there at 3:30am and was 3cm. They put me on pitocin, because I wasn't contracting, and by 6:45am I was 5cm and READY for my epidural. I have NO fear of needles, but extreme fear of pain. Got my epidural at 7, was fully dilated by 8am had him at 9:20. Had breakfast and that was it!

23. iMommy
    July 31, 2008 | 11:41 pm

Happy Birthday, Quinn!

With Boopie, I started to have some serious cramping 10 days before she was due; I wasn’t sure it was contractions but when they didn’t go away for a few hours, I figured it was “time”.

Unfortunately, I had about 24 hours of back labor before I was admitted to the hospital. I went three times, but was turned away each time – not dilated enough.

(ARGH!)

When I finally was admitted early Thursday morning, around 7:30, I suffered for a bit then asked for an epidural. Things progressed regularly, I had a few embarressing bathroom issues, and Hubby had some breakfast, and NurseZilla kicked my mom and sister out of the room without telling me.

Then NurseZilla (can you tell we didn’t like her?) checked me, looked up a little too panicky for my liking, and then rushed to the door to call the doctor, any doctor! because it was time!

The doctor rushed in, I pushed three times, and then Boopie was here :-) 21 inches, 6 lbs 15 ounces, blue eyes, lots of dark brown hair, and absolutely adorable!

24. KLS
    July 31, 2008 | 11:53 pm

Quinn (love the name!) shares a birthday with my niece. Happy birthday to him!

Thanks for sharing your story! I am hunting and pecking while nursing, so will have to save my story for later…. I agree it’s something moms like/need to talk about.

August 1, 2008 | 2:36 am

Wow, you look great for having just gone through labor. I looked nothing like that, and I didn’t even have labor.

Ironically enough, tomorrow is Little Miss’s birthday, and I was planning to post her birth story. Good timing. You’ll have to come check it out!

26. SusieO
    August 1, 2008 | 3:16 am

Those thighs of cue’s? NOM NOM NOM

27. EatPlayLove
    August 1, 2008 | 3:20 am

amazing story. wonderful and thanks for sharing.

28. Mama Ginger Tree
    August 1, 2008 | 3:44 am

Happy Birthday to Quinn!

I loved reading your story. I’ll give you the short version of mine. I was induced at 38 weeks pregnant with twins. After contracting for 28 hours with the pitocin turned up as high as they would allow (I had an epidural), I was only dialated 3 cmm.

My twin girls were born via c-section 1 minute apart.

With my third (second pregnancy) I had a planned c-section. It was no less miraculous though. We were told he’d likely be a she and felt like we won the lottery he came out a he!

29. Jack
    August 1, 2008 | 6:35 am

Nice story. Happy Birthday to Quinn.

30. Maura
    August 2, 2008 | 4:12 am

Great story, wonderfully told as always.

I don’t have one to share, but I definitely enjoyed “living” yours…without the pain!

31. anymommy
    August 2, 2008 | 4:51 am

Psychmamma and Andrea – I’m looking forward to those posts!

AMomTwoBoys – That story is so you. I loved it.

Imommy – Can’t wait to hear how this second one goes.

Kls – Hope you’ll share, since yours should be pretty fresh in your mind. I do think it’s something that we need to focus on sharing. Such an important moment for any woman.

SusieO – I know there are just yummy.

MamaGinger – Twins just amaze me. I thought my organs would never be the same with singles.

EatPlay, Jack and Maura – thanks!

32. Kate
    August 2, 2008 | 8:49 pm

I’ve been meaning to write my twin birth story because it was actually kind of funny. And since I had my first only 18 months prior, that one is pretty fresh in my mind as well…

I have always said that I think women love to tell their birth stories – with all the gory details included. Ask me about my wedding day, and I’ll give you the highlights – but ask me about the two times I gave birth? Go get a chair and make yourself comfortable!

Maybe I’ll do another theme this week (since the “confessions” were fun). This time it can be about the twins since I have of yet to write much about them. Thanks for the idea!

33. tz
    August 3, 2008 | 1:56 pm

oh wow…happy birthday Quinn…what a great birth story…I loved reading it…I am one who so enjoys a good birth story, even before I had my own!

34. tz
    August 3, 2008 | 1:57 pm

oh yeah…the kids birthstories have been known for bedtime story fodder in our own household…the kids love hearing how they came into this world…

35. steffenboysmom
    August 3, 2008 | 6:09 pm

Okay,here goes…I had four children at home ages 5 and under. At 10 weeks( with #5), I thought I was a little bigger than I should be. I went into the doc a couple weeks before my first appointment and he hears TWO, count 'em, two heart beats (#5 & 6?)! Yikes! So here I am having twins with four boys at home already. God, one of these had better be a girl!!

As the weeks drug on and I got absolutely as big as a house (now I know where that phrase comes from), I had 5 weeks left when I felt my first pang of labor. My first thought was "Not yet." My second thought was, "yes, now would be good!"

After arriving at the hospital and the doctor giving the nurses strict orders to stop my labor, I had an ultrasound and saw that they were breach! No way to deliver naturally! I was scared to death! I had always had "easy" labors.I did not want to have them by c-section!

They kept me for 9 days, then the doctor delivered my two baby boys on my sisters birthday. C-section is like getting hit by a truck by the way!

So now I have 6 boys and love everyone of them, although they are eating me out of house and home, driving our insurance sky high, and making me feel old!

36. Teril
    August 3, 2008 | 8:53 pm

I’ll do my last birth. Feb. 23, 2008.
    I had a range of due dates from feb 12-22, so as the days came closer to the middle of the range. I tried any idea of beginning labor( no I know my body will do it for me, but you know I wanted to let it know it was a good time=) So I had sex, lots of it, made my man burn his what is it they say now 40 calories for sex? I read that one somewhere, I tried lifting stuff (have two older kids they count right?) I walked the stair, I would go take the kids to the park and walk the hills with the dog, I would tell myself yes this is a good time, look all the laundry is done, there is plastic on the bedsheets this time we did the belly cast, I get the groceries for the week, grandmas here goo time baby!. It didn’t really work though. We went about a 180 miles round trip one the 22 to pick up my huz’s kids, then we had a huge sushi dinner and came home to my kids my grandma was watching for us. That night there were contractions but i had been having them all the time for the last week or so = I ignored them and went to sleep. It was 5:00 and then there was bloody show and harder contractions which woke me up and I raced to the bathroom to check my mirror on the toilet and yes! there was action! I woke the huz up and he called the midwife and then I finished cleaning up the room a bit and went downstairs to clean up some kid mess. The midwives would take about 40 minutes to get here, so I told the huz lets have some tea and finish the movie i fell asleep in late last night. Picture this the midwives arrive (I had a home birth) and here I was sippin tea and watching the last 30 minutes of V for Vendetta! My midwife from the last birth was like it’s happening! and her arsenal of other ‘wives gave me the look of “are you sure your in labor” and raised the eyebrows. We helped them bring in their supplies and then me and the huz sat down and finished our movie ( I can imagine what they were thinking, here we had a house full of 5 kids sleeping, I’m in labor and here we are sitting on the couch watching a movie where there is all the telling blowing up and screaming in the back ground, I’m sure they get more of the serene candles and soft music thing but hey, I’m not the norm). Then I went upstairs because they needed to check me once their stuff was out and I was
    8cm then I had to pee and then there was the amniotic bubble there. I told the midwife and then sat on the birthing stool to get a better look and had to push. So I was pushing and they tried to show me in the mirror but it was hard to see it happening and avoid thinking about the contractions.
    Now I am delusional in the fact that I try very intensively to think bout contractions as not “painful” and that they are in passing and = baby so they won’t happen for every and in a way I try to tell myself that “this isn’t hurting” I hardly make a noise and basically space out and hope someone else i responsible for catching because I spend my time trying to not experience the sharp “pain”. Yeah birth hurts but it ends and thats the payoff. I Personally have a fine time birthing it is the milk coming in and the first few days of nursing are usually the more painful. I actually had more problems the day after the birth when I met my uterus which inverted and fell out while I was peeing the next evening. I didn’t cry during the birth, I cried that night seeing organ.

37. Teril
    August 3, 2008 | 8:55 pm

I’ll do my last birth. Feb. 23, 2008.

38. anymommy
    August 3, 2008 | 9:10 pm

Kate – Yes! I love that theme.

tz – You definitely need to share the stories on your blog.

Steffenboysmom – Wow! I am looking forward to visiting your site. Six boys has got to be a new definition of craziness. Thanks for sharing your twins’ story.

Teril – Seeing any kind of internal organ outside of my body would definitely make me cry. Your birth experiences sound lovely though.

39. PsychMamma
    August 13, 2008 | 5:45 pm

You asked for it – you got it!

Here’s the link for mine (finally!)

40. nwmama
    October 10, 2008 | 4:51 am

These stories are so rich and fun. I might have just gotten over the distaste I developed for cable TV birthing shows (which I’d been addicted to during both pregnancies, and a little beyond, then got very turned off by. ?)

I’ll do #1 of 2. The year was 2001. University of Chicago. The Obamas were down the hall with one then-and-now beautiful baby Sasha (as a side note, weeks before we had noted with pleasure Senator Obama’s attendance at a “sibling preparation” class with Michelle and their firstborn, which was wrapping up as we were showing up for our breastfeeding class — he is an engaged and attentive man among many excellent qualities). I arrived at hour 30 — huffing over the unopened highchair box in our grad student apartment for more than an entire day wasn’t hacking it anymore — only to be told I was barely admittable at 4.5cm. (Low pain threshold? It takes me 10 shots of novocaine before the dentist can get anywhere near starting a root canal on me — my eyeballs wind up numb eventually.) I was dehydrated, got poked full of needles and (what seemed like) duct-taped everywhere — then sent to a room. We’d made sure we’d brought … the garden hose.

Why, you ask, a garden hose? Well, for the pool birthing experience so many of us crave, of course. UC’s version of this, circa 2001: a kiddie pool, soft-sided, pitchable in the middle of the room (a similar model at Target might run about $20). The midwife and hubby pitched, and then filled it up — with the garden hose we brought (per hospital requirement) attached to the bathroom faucet.

about 40 minutes later, I got in. About 10 minutes after that, shivering (how long does water piped in from a faucet, otherwise unheated, stay hot in a container of that size? now you know), I begged for an epidural.

The world became far more right again after that (though I had to be given pitocin following the epi), and sweet pumpkin girl arrived at hour 36, 7lbs, 15oz.

41. Issas Crazy World
    October 14, 2008 | 3:49 pm

Ok, Stacey I’m not a stalker I promise. I just had to read this, since you’d posted the link. I adore Quinn’s name and this story. Nice of him to be born on your time schedule. :)

I am with you, my girls seemed huge when they walked in to meet Alex. In fact, they still do. Even though heffer baby is already ten freaking pounds.